Context: On September 17, 2023, World Patient Safety Day will be celebrated with the theme “Engaging patients for patient safety” to acknowledge the important role patients, families, and caregivers have in ensuring healthcare safety.
About World Patient Safety day:
- World Patient Safety Day is an annual event created by the World Health Organization to raise awareness and promote action on patient safety worldwide. It was established in 2019 by the 72nd World Health Assembly through a resolution called “Global action on patient safety”.
- The aim is to make the public more aware and involved, improve worldwide understanding, and encourage countries to work together to improve patient safety and reduce harm to patients.
World patient safety day 2023:
- World Patient Safety Day will be celebrated by emphasising the importance of including patients, families, and caregivers in the promotion of healthcare safety.
- Research indicates that when patients are involved as equal participants in their healthcare, there are notable improvements in safety, patient satisfaction, and overall health outcomes. By actively participating in their care, patients can help enhance the safety of their treatment and the healthcare system in general.
- Through the slogan “Elevate the voice of patients!”, The World Health Organization is urging everyone involved in healthcare to prioritise the input and involvement of patients. They want patients to be included in decision-making processes, represented in healthcare organisations, involved in creating safety measures, and actively participating in their own treatment.
- To promote safety, patient-centeredness, trustworthiness, and equity, it is necessary to offer platforms and opportunities for various patients, families, and communities to express their opinions, concerns, expectations, and preferences.
- Patient and family engagement was included as a key strategy in the Resolution WHA 72.6 and the Global Patient Safety Action Plan 2021-2030, aiming to reduce harm in healthcare.
- Increase worldwide recognition of the importance of involving patients, their families, and caregivers in healthcare at all levels and in all settings, in order to enhance patient safety.
- Involve policymakers, healthcare leaders, healthcare workers, patient organizations, civil society, and other stakeholders in initiatives to involve patients and families in safe healthcare policies and practices.
- Encourage patients and their families to play an active role in their healthcare and participate in efforts to enhance healthcare safety.
- Encourage all partners to take immediate action on patient and family participation in accordance with the Global Patient Safety Action Plan 2021-2030..
The global campaign for World Patient Safety Day 2023 will offer a variety of activities for everyone involved, such as national campaigns, policy discussions, advocacy events, and educational initiatives. It will also continue the tradition of illuminating famous landmarks and public spaces in orange, the campaign’s symbol.
- What is the theme of World Patient Safety Day to be celebrated on September 17, 2023?
- “Healthcare Safety Awareness: Shared Responsibility”
- “Improving Healthcare Systems Globally”
- “Engaging patients for patient safety”
- “Healthcare Innovations for Patient Welfare”