Context: The SHREYAS scheme has provided financial support of over 2300 crore rupees for the education of SC and OBC students since 2014, benefiting thousands of individuals.
The SHREYAS scheme, which was started in 2014, consists of four sub-schemes that focus on providing educational opportunities to Scheduled Castes and Other Backward Classes students in order to empower them.
The four sub-scheme include
- Sub-Scheme 1: Free Coaching Scheme for SCs and OBCs
- Sub-Scheme 2: Top Class Education for SCs
- Sub-Scheme 3: National Overseas Scheme for SCs
- Sub-Scheme 4: National Fellowship for SC Students
Free Coaching Scheme for SCs and OBCs
- Provide excellent coaching services to individuals from economically disadvantaged backgrounds belonging to the Scheduled Caste (SC) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) categories.
- Get them ready for competitive exams and entrance tests for both public and private sector employment.
- Help students gain admission to top technical and professional higher education institutions.
- The maximum limit for the total yearly income of a family is 8 lakhs.
- There are 3500 slots available each year.
- The ratio of SC to OBC students is respectively 70 to 30.
- 30% of the seats are reserved for women.
- The flexibility in ratios is meant to ensure that at least 50% of the students are from a specific group (SC students).
- A total of 770 million rupees were released for funding allocation from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
- There are a total of 19,995 individuals who will receive benefits.
Top Class Education for SCs
- Encourage high-quality education for students from Scheduled Castes.
- Provide complete financial assistance for education beyond the 12th grade.
- Scholarships will continue as long as the recipient maintain
- The addition of esteemed establishments.
- The maximum annual income for a family is 8 lakhs.
- There will be a total of 21,500 scholarships allocated from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- Financial support refers to the provision of funds for various purposes such as covering tuition fees, providing academic allowance, and supporting living expenses.
- A total of 43 crore rupees has been released for funding allocation between 2014-15 and 2022-23.
- There are a total of 21,988 people who will benefit from this.
National Overseas Scheme for SCs
- Provide financial support for individuals pursuing master’s and Ph.D. programs overseas.
- This is inclusive of Scheduled Castes, De-notified Tribes, Nomadic Tribes, Semi-Nomadic Tribes, and other communities.
- Enrollment in prestigious international universities listed in the top 500 QS rankings.
- This covers the costs of tuition, living expenses, visa fees, and travel expenses.
- The maximum limit for the total income of a family is less than Rs. 8 lakhs per year.
- Eligible criteria, one must have achieved a score of over 60% in the qualifying examination and be younger than 35 years old.
- A sum of 140 million rupees was released for funding between 2014-15 and 2022-23.
- There are 950 individuals who will receive benefits.
National Fellowship for SC Students
- Provide assistance to SC students who wish to pursue higher education and obtain doctoral degrees in philosophy.
- It is offered in various fields including Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
- The information is derived from qualifying exams such as NET-JRF and UGC-CSIR Joint Test.
- There are high fellowship rates available and no limit to the financial support provided.
- This is about the rates of fellowships for Junior Research Fellows (JRF) and Senior Research Fellows (SRF).
- The contingency allowances for Humanities & Social Sciences and Sciences, Engineering & Technology are provided.
- A total of 89 crore rupees was released for funding from 2014-15 to 2022-23.
- There are 21,326 people who will receive benefits.
The SHREYAS Scheme is a source of hope for SC and OBC students in India, offering them educational opportunities and financial assistance. It consists of four sub-schemes that promote empowerment, inclusivity, and advancement in the education sector of the country.
- What is a key feature of the Shreyas Scheme?
- The maximum yearly income limit for a family is 10 lakhs
- There are 5000 slots available each year
- The ratio of SC to OBC students is 60 to 40
- 20% of the seats are reserved for women