Union Tribal Affairs minister Arjun Munda said that his ministry would start Prdhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojna covering 36 thousand villages across the country.
He said that 1,700 tribal villages in Assam will be converted into model villages.
- The Minister said that another 184 new Van Dhan Kendra to be set up in the state that would benefit nearly 60 thousand people.
- He also said that his ministry is working for the empowerment of the tribal people of the country.
- On the granting of ST status to six communities in Assam, Mr. Munda said that the matter is under process and the Centre is holding consultation in a positive way with various stakeholders.
- PMAGY was launched with the aim of overall development of selected SC majority villages. The scheme seeks to provide the villages with all the necessary facilities in order to ensure that the disparity between SC and non-SC population is eliminated in terms of common socio-economic indicators.
- Performance of the PMAGY is being monitored in terms of achievement of the targets that are listed in the Village Development Plan (VDP) prepared for each village.
- Under this scheme, technical resource support is provided by the “National Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR)” at the national level.
SOURCE: The Indian Express