[GS Paper 2 – Govt Policies and Interventions]
Context – The Central Government recently launched the State University Research Excellence scheme to augment the research capabilities in a structured way to create a robust R&D ecosystem in state and private universities and colleges, including self-financed institutions working within these universities.
- State University Research Excellence (SERB-SURE) is a new innovative scheme of the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), that can foster collaboration for high-end research at state and private universities and colleges.
- SERB-SURE scheme provides research support to active researchers belonging to state and private universities and colleges, including self-financed institutions working within these universities, across India, to undertake research and development in frontier areas of science, engineering, and quantitative social science.
- The new programme will also support data-driven social science research, which would be a great stimulus to the latent potential that lies in different universities of the country.
- In this scheme, the state universities will have level competition to secure research funding, and present significant opportunities for strengthening the research ecosystem in state universities to upgrade their research capabilities to national and international levels.
- The growth of existing research capabilities at these institutions is imperative to ensure horizontal diffusion of research excellence reaching all research students hoping to contribute to the national R&D ecosystem, to propagate scientific temper and promote enhancement of quality through SERB support.