Context- Recently, 15 railway stations under the Ambala Railway Division were selected to be developed under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme.
- The Union Ministry of Railways launched the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme in December 2022 in order to modernize over 1,000 small stations over the coming years.
Amrit Bharat Station Scheme
- The scheme envisages the development of stations on a continuous basis with the long-term vision.
- The scheme mainly aims at preparation of Master Plans of the Railway stations and also implementation of the Master Plan in phases to enhance the facilities.
Key features for these proposed stations:
- provisions for roof top plazas,
- longer platforms,
- ballastless tracks,
- and 5G connectivity.
Other Facilities Planned under this Scheme
- Smooth access by widening of roads, properly designed signages, dedicated pedestrian pathways, well planned parking areas, and also improved lighting.
- High level platforms(760-840 mm) shall be provided at every category of stations.
- Provide good cafeteria and retail facilities.
- Space shall be created for Executive Lounges and places for small business meetings.
- Drainage of the platform areas.
- Ceremonial flags may be provided at appropriate spaces in the station.
- Special amenities for the disabled people.
- Gradual shift to sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions as per availability of funds and condition of existing assets is also considered.
- The scheme will subsume all previous redevelopment projects where work has not begun.